Monday, September 7, 2009

You know, pumpkin flavored tears?

"Odd" Things I Cry For

I cry at the drop of a hat.
It wasn't always like this, I know I used to cry as a kid, but of course it would be for legit reasons. Like not getting a quarter for a gumball. Or because I was hungry and didn't want to eat green beans for dinner. That kind of stuff.
I think my 'other' crying started in college. It was probably a cumulation of spilled milk and Extreme Makeover Home Edition marathons. Yes, I cried over milk.
I cry a lot. I've noticed more tears flow for happy things rather than sad. Anything even remotely sentimental will have me bawling.
I've literally cried through an entire episode of Antiques Roadshow. It's that crazy.

Besides crazy I actually think it's hilarious. After a good cry session I'll start chuckling at my sappiness. ... and then I think about bi-polar-ness and hormones. Hmm.

My latest cry was at Starbucks. Yes, Starbucks.
Monday through Friday my regular breakfast consists of a Grande Soy (with Whip) Cinnamon Dolce Latte and an Oatmeal with Brown Sugar. I've become a regular at the Starbucks near my work and once they see me they get some Soy Milk ready to steam.
Last week the Pumpkin Spice Latte returned to the Starbucks menu and that morning the barista asks, "Are you having a Pumpkin Spice Latte today?"
I smiled and was about to say, "No, I'll just have the regular."
But she pointed to a tray of samples and said, "Try one!"
So, I did.
It's been cold in Chicago the past few weeks. Not cold-cold but noticeably chillier and we've had a super mild summer on top of that. Definitely a sign that Autumn is on it's way.
I love Autumn. Okay, honestly, I love every season. But, right now my biggest love is Autumn because it's next. I love the chill in the air and the colors and layering clothes. Something about it.

Well, this Pumpkin Spice Latte hit me hard with memories of Fall and I could feel the tears welling up. I tried hard not to blink because that would set the tears in motion. I choked out an, "I'll have this," spun around to pretend I was looking at merchandise but instead wiped away my tears and chanted, "stop crying! stop crying! stop crying!"
I realized I had to pay so turned around again and handed over my card. The cashier peered at me and asked if I was alright. I smiled and said, "Yes."
Stupid me decided to take another sip of my sample at that moment and was hit again by a wave of emotion. I choked and coughed. I tried to pass the new tears in my eyes as a result of my coughing. I attempted to casually walked over to the other end of the bar to pick up my drink. The barista handed it to me and noticed the tears. She asked, "Are you okay?"
"Oh yeah, I'm fine, just a little cough," I replied and then bolted out the door tears now streaming down my face, each drop a little bit of Autumn.

Pumpkin Spice Latte, you've got me feeling emotions. Deeper than I ever dreamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment